Saturday, June 18, 2011

Resistance

May 25, 2011
I'm trying to catch up on the last few days so I'll write about today as well as the 24th. Right now, I'm sitting in a roofed chapel, with no walls, in the middle of the jungle. To be honest, I wasn't happy about coming to Costa Rica- I thought we'd choose a location like India or Africa. I thought, "What can God do in my life in Costa Rica?"
Ok. Now back from work on wednesday. After waking up from the hostile place in San Jose, we drove for 8 hours to Shiroles/Bri-Bri. The drive was long, but awesome! Once we got out of the city, I could not take my eyes off of the scenery... We stopped a long the way to go to the restroom and also to see the Howler or Congo monkey's. We saw the Atlantic Ocean (Carribean Sea), which was way cool. Once we got further out of the city and closer to the jungle, I noticed the houses stopped being covered in bars. It seemed as though lots got "poorer". We saw coconut trees, banana trees, and people riding horses.
Then we arrived at the base in the jungle, literally in the middle of nowhere. We then met Curtis, Cathy and their daughter, Camry (the pastor's at the base). Cathy immediately made us girls feel at home with her warm heart and spirit. And Camry made a wonderful promise to keep us safe from all the bugs! haha. For dinner, we had beans, rice, fresh pineapple, watermelon and a yummy salad that reminds me of home because it had cilantro in it (which my mom always cooks with). haha. We were all given a rude awakening when we were told about the bugs here and how we have to sleep under mosquito nets. That part didn't bother me until they told us we had to always look in our beds before getting in them and we had to inspect all of our clothes and shoes before putting them on because of the SCORPIONS!!! It was at this point that I was WAY out of my comfort zone. Here I realized how much of a princess I was! Wow! Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned it- but, we ate the middle of a palm tree for lunch on the way to the base- yummy! Yeah- I'll end this day mostly because I don't remember much more... it's been a long day!
~Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment